Here we go! Episode #6 and we are talking about bad education with Wahbi.
- The current education system is bullshit
– Sixty-five percent of children entering primary school will end up in jobs that don’t yet exist, reveals the World Economic Forum.
– “Too often, degrees are still thought of as lifelong stamps of professional competency. They tend to create a false sense of security, perpetuating the illusion that work — and the knowledge it requires — is static. It’s not.”
– Despite popular opinion, teachers don’t always teach because they want to teach. It’s far more common that they’re only teaching because it’s been linked to their research and funding.
– Holding a university degree is becoming much less important as companies start to realize the value of motivation, self-direction learning over a piece of paper
- Is schooling just an expected component of society or does it actually bring value?
– Why bad education even exists?
– Initially, schooling was created to prepare students for a lifetime of working as a factory worker
– Should be focusing on soft skills, not hard skills
– Did the Ancient Greeks have it right with their mentoring approach?
– University and schooling is all just a memorization game. It doesn’t promote actual learning, instead just encourages cramming knowledge before an exam
- The Millennial Question
– We’ve been told we were special our whole lives, but then we enter the workplace and find out that’s not true
- Wahbi’s Two Issues
– You don’t know what you want when you’re 17
– Should be better support throughout life
- Your future dream job probably doesn’t even exist yet
- Adult further education should be encouraged